Monica Poelchau (USDA, i5k, Chair); Clayton Birkett (USDA); Stephen Ficklin (Tripal); Lacey-Anne Sanderson (KnowPulse); Margaret Staton (Hardwood Genomics); Deepak Unni (CyVerse)
To review and summarize information on data storage choices for genome databases, providing guidance on best practices where possible.
- Recommendations for platform choice
- Systematically choose from available platforms.
- Recommendations for platform sustainability
- Use open-source tools if possible.
- Have a plan for long-term management.
- Recommendations for platform interoperability
- Employ ontologies and CVs and use them to annotate as much data as possible.
- Plan for web services.
- Make your database discoverable by indexing and providing a search engine.
- Make your data connected using best practices for exposing, sharing and using Uniform Resource Identifiers and RDF.